Online-round table "BRICS Development Strategy and Russia’s Priorities"
Online-round table "BRICS Development Strategy and Russia’s Priorities" will be held on May 29, 2020 at 2 p.m. (GMT+3).
Organizers: National Committee on BRICS Research, BRICS Russia Expert Council, Higher School of Economics
Date: May 29, 2020
- 8.00 – 10.00 AM (Brasilia)
- 2.00 – 4.00 PM (Moscow)
- 6.30 – 8.30 PM (New Delhi)
- 7.00 – 9.00 PM (Beijing)
- 1.00 – 3.00 PM (Pretoria)
Working language: Russian (simultaneous translation into English)
BRICS transregional partnership is a unique framework for international cooperation allowing its Member States to collaborate effectively in matters of global governance, sustainable development, security, energy, healthcare, digital transformation, trade and investment, innovation and sectoral project development. ‘The Partnership of the Five,’ rooted in the principle of sovereign equality, is continuously claiming its actorness in the face of current challenges, including the global pandemic and world economic crisis.
New economic and geopolitical conditions, branded by some experts as a ‘competition pandemic,’ urge for abandonment of political ambitions and return to a constructive dialogue and consolidation of the Five’s financial, technical, political and intellectual resources for a rapid launch of previously agreed cooperation projects and development of breakthrough cooperative solutions to swiftly overcome the crisis and its consequences.
Russia’s 2020 BRICS chairmanship is held under the motto “BRICS Strategic Partnership for Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth.” This offers a window of opportunity to define guidelines for pragmatic cooperation and lay the groundwork for mitigation of global security risks and enhancement of forecasting capabilities to develop effective strategies for preventive action.
Main topics of discussion:
- Current world economic crisis as a challenge and an opportunity for BRICS;
- The role of BRICS in global economic governance and the future of the BRICS Plus format;
- Goals and tools of the BRICS Economic Partnership Strategy 2025 amid recent challenges;
- BRICS member states’ cooperation projects in healthcare, education and science, innovations and the new industrial revolution, information security and digital economy, agriculture, ecology and green economy, energy, competition: successes, preconditions for and difficulties of implementation;
- The role of new financial tools in supporting cooperation projects. Strategy and objectives of the New Development Bank;
- Russia’s strategic objectives in BRICS and addressing new challenges and realities in the agenda of Russia’s 2020 BRICS Chairmanship.
The round table is part of the Calendar of Activities of the Russian BRICS Chairmanship and the XXI April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development official program. Further information could be found on the Conference’s website - https://conf.hse.ru/2020.
Elena Sabelnikova, email@example.com
Accreditation for press: Vadim Vorobyev, firstname.lastname@example.org